Clark Regional Emergency Services Agency

Clark Regional Emergency Services Agency

Clark County Local Emergency Planning Committee

About the LEPC

Hazardous chemicals are everywhere in our community. They are under our kitchen sinks, in our cars, on our highways, and in our workplaces. Most of the time, we're protected from these chemicals because of comprehensive regulations and a commitment to safety by those whose job it is to manage dangerous chemicals. Still, chemical accidents happen all the time and when they happen they require a coordinated effort by the spillers, businesses, responders, hazmat teams, contractors, hospitals, and others who have a role to play in responding to an incident.

The Clark County Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) is here to support preparedness for chemical emergencies and to facilitate communication and coordination among those who have a stake in hazardous materials response and recovery. The LEPC is involved in -

  • The maintenance of the Clark County Hazardous Materials Response Plan
  • Making information about chemical inventories available to the public
  • Assessment of industrial and transportation-related chemical hazards
  • Coordinating training and exercises
  • Supporting public-private partnerships for preparedness
  • Educating the public about chemical hazards and how they should prepare and respond

The LEPC is authorized by the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA). In Washington State, every county is required to have an LEPC.

The Clark County LEPC meets monthly at the Northwest Regional Training Center at 2 PM. All meetings are open to the public. The schedule of meeting dates for 2014 is listed below:

  • January 28 - Annual Business Meeting
  • February 27
  • March 27
  • April 24
  • May 22
  • June 26
  • July 24
  • August 28
  • September 25
  • October 23
  • November 20
  • December 18

Meeting dates and times are subject to change and may be cancelled for lack of agenda items. To confirm meeting dates, contact John Wheeler at 360-992-6271; email -

Protecting yourself from chemical incidents

Do you know what you'll do if you come upon a chemical spill or if there is a hazardous materials incident in your neighborhood or at your workplace?

If you come across a suspicious container, package, or substance that may be hazardous, call 9-1-1 immediately.

If there is a chemical emergency near you, public safety officials may require evacuation. However, very often they may ask that you get indoors, close all doors and windows, and shut off the ventilation system. This protective action, called 'shelter-in-place', is usually the best way to protect yourself from hazardous vapors. For more information see Know What to do During Chemical Emergencies.

If you or your business is responsible for a spill it is very important that you take immediate steps to protect public health and safety and meet your legal obligations. If the spill presents a potential threat to life, health, and the environment, call 9-1-1 immediately. You also need to make certain required notifications. For more information, see How to Report a Spill.

Learn About Chemicals in Your Community

Do you know what businesses in your community use chemicals? Businesses that have chemicals are required to report their inventories each year to state and local officials. Those state and local officials are then required to make that information available to you upon request. You may contact CRESA to make a request for those records. That information is also available from the Washington State Department of Ecology. Check out their EPCRA homepage for more information.

For more information:

Clark County Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Plan (updated January 2014)

Clark County Hazardous Material Commodity Flow Study

2012 Emergency Response Guidebook

Chemical Safety Board - federal agency charged with investigation of industrial accidents

Municipal Research and Services Center of Washington - Hazardous Materials -Emergency Preparedness and Planning

Washington State Department of Ecology

Reporting Requirements (EPCRA Title III)

Spills Program

How To Report a Spill

Washington State LEPC Directory

Washington State Pipeline Safety Program

Southwest Clean Air Agency

Right-to-Know Network

Oil Transport in Washington State

Crude oil rail shipment notification - Washington State Emergency Management Division

Washington State Department of Ecology - Oil Transport

To contact the Clark County LEPC:

Contact CRESA at 360-737-1911 or

Fill out the inquiry form on the Contact Us Webpage